Portsmouth Public Law Library
Parking is free in the downtown parking garage on Saturdays.
It is the “Unauthorized Practice of Law” for the staff to interpret the law or the legal resources. We may not give legal advice or opinions. We may however, show you where the books on your subject are located and how to find information in them.
Resources to Aid You in Locating Laws or Legal Information
Please note that neither the Law Library nor the Circuit Court Clerks’ Office, have ready-made forms, as each persons’ circumstances are different. However, the “Virginia Forms” books are located in the Law Library and provide a general idea of how legal documents are to look and the general wording.
- Portsmouth City Code
- Code of Virginia
- United States Code (U.S.C.)
- Further information regarding Virginia Courts can be found on the Virginia Courts website.
- A new Self Help Law Site that has been recently approved by the Virginia Supreme Court.
- Virginia State Bar - This site contains information on Legal-Aid, the Supreme Court, VA State Bar and more.
- Norfolk & Portsmouth Bar Association - Serving the Legal Profession, The Judiciary and the Public since 1900
- Virginia State Law Library - As an integral unit of the Virginia Supreme Court, the Virginia State Law Library seeks to provide the highest quality customer-oriented library service that will contribute to the mission of the Supreme Court of Virginia, the Court of Appeals of Virginia and the legal community.
- Virginia Register of Regulations - The Office of the Registrar serves as the central repository for all regulations adopted by state agencies.
- Virginia Lawyers Weekly - The latest legal news.
- Law Library of Congress - The Library’s mission is to support the Congress in fulfilling its constitutional duties and to further the progress of knowledge and creativity for the benefit of the American people.
- Guide to Law Online - The Guide to Law Online, prepared by the Law Library of Congress Public Services Division, is an annotated guide to sources of information on government and law available online. It includes selected links to useful and reliable sites for legal information.
- FindLaw is also a good source for legal information.
- Virginia Chamber of Commerce has useful information for business owners, and more.
- Virginia Register of Regulations complements and supplements the Virginia Administrative Code.