Ancestry Library Edition
7 billion genealogical records from across the globe and millions of family trees (Only available inside the library). View the Ancestry Library Edition Website
- Family trees
- Helpful tools
- Historical records
Ancestry for Virginians
The Library of Virginia is providing free online access to Virginians doing genealogical research on Virginian Ancestors to the following Ancestry.com databases:
- Alabama, Texas and Virginia, Confederate Pensions, 1884-1958
- Virginia, Birth Records, 1912-2014, Delayed Birth Records, 1854-1911
- Virginia, Death Records, 1912-2014
- Virginia, Marriage Records, 1936-2014
- Virginia, Divorce Records, 1918-2014
- Virginia Colonial Records, 1607-1853
Visit the Ancestry for Virginians site to begin your search
Access genealogical resources including:
- Freedman’s Bank Records
- PERiodical Source Index (PERSI)
- Revolutionary War Pension Records
- United States Census
- United States Congressional Serial Set
Visit the HeritageQuest Online.
Portsmouth Vital Records
Links to transcribed Portsmouth and Norfolk County Records from 1853 to 1939. The transcriptions come from records held with in the Esther Murdaugh Wilson Local History Room located in the Portsmouth Main Library. Click here to view the records.
- Births for Norfolk County and Portsmouth 1850 to 1896
- Deaths in Portsmouth and Elizabeth River Parish recorded in Norfolk County 1853-1860
- Cemeteries within the city limits not including some small family plots around the city
- Marriages of Norfolk County (early and 1850-1935) and Portsmouth (1858-1939)
The Portsmouth Public Library Yearbook Collection includes a variety of schools and institutions among 157 volumes dating from 1926 to 1977. These yearbooks were digitized through a project with the Library of Virginia and are made available via the Internet Archive.
The yearbooks were donated to our Local History Room, and we do not have every year for every school, but if you are interested in donating yearbooks to the permanent history collection, please call us at 393-8501, ext. 6521.