Portsmouth Public Law Library
Resources to Aid You in Locating Laws or Legal Information
The Portsmouth Public Library is proud to offer an up-to-date selection of print legal resources at its Main Branch location!
Please note that neither the Law Library nor the Circuit Court Clerks’ Office have ready-made forms as, more often than not, each persons’ circumstances will be wildly different. However, the “Virginia Forms” located in the Law Library will provide an idea of how legal documents are supposed to look in addition to general wording.
Though it is the “Unauthorized Practice of Law” for library staff to interpret the law or legal resources, we are happy to show you where the books on your subject are located and assist you with finding information in them. However, we may not give legal advice or opinions.
Additional resources and/or commonly referenced information:
- Portsmouth City Code
- Code of Virginia
- United States Code (U.S.C.)
- Further information regarding Virginia Courts can be found on the Virginia Courts Website.
- A new Self Help Law Site that has been recently approved by the Virginia Supreme Court.
- Gale Legal Forms, Find downloadable, fill-able forms for basic legal transactions, current to Virginia code. Leases, sales contracts, powers of attorney, etc.. Legal Forms, its publisher, Gale Cengage, The Library of Virginia, Virginia public libraries and their funding bodies assume no liability for actions resulting in the use of these forms.
- Virginia State Bar - This site contains information on Legal-Aid, the Supreme Court, VA State Bar and more.
- Norfolk & Portsmouth Bar Association - Serving the Legal Profession, The Judiciary and the Public since 1900
- Virginia State Law Library - As an integral unit of the Virginia Supreme Court, the Virginia State Law Library seeks to provide the highest quality customer-oriented library service that will contribute to the mission of the Supreme Court of Virginia, the Court of Appeals of Virginia and the legal community.
- Virginia Register of Regulations - The Office of the Registrar serves as the central repository for all regulations adopted by state agencies.
- Virginia Lawyers Weekly - The latest legal news.
- Law Library of Congress - The Library’s mission is to support the Congress in fulfilling its constitutional duties and to further the progress of knowledge and creativity for the benefit of the American people.
- Guide to Law Online - The Guide to Law Online, prepared by the Law Library of Congress Public Services Division, is an annotated guide to sources of information on government and law available online. It includes selected links to useful and reliable sites for legal information.
- FindLaw is also a good source for legal information.
- Virginia Chamber of Commerce has useful information for business owners, and more.
- Virginia Register of Regulations complements and supplements the Virginia Administrative Code.
Documents of the Portsmouth Public Library Board
Link to a folder containing the meeting agendas for the Portsmouth Public Law Library Board
Link to a folder containing the meeting minutes for the Portsmouth Public Law Library Board
Link to a folder containing financial statements for the Portsmouth Public Law Library