Ancestry Library Edition
7 billion genealogical records from across the globe and millions of family trees (Only available inside the library). View the Ancestry Library Edition Website
- Family trees
- Helpful tools
- Historical records
To access "Ancestry Library Edition" outside the library:
- Log in to your account with your library card number and PIN/password.
- Click on “Ancestry Lookup” tab
- Access to this resource has been temporarily expanded to library cardholders working remotely, courtesy of ProQuest and its partner Ancestry.
Ancestry for Virginians
The Library of Virginia is providing free online access to Virginians doing genealogical research on Virginian Ancestors to the following Ancestry.com databases:
- Alabama, Texas and Virginia, Confederate Pensions, 1884-1958
- Virginia, Birth Records, 1912-2014, Delayed Birth Records, 1854-1911
- Virginia, Death Records, 1912-2014
- Virginia, Marriage Records, 1936-2014
- Virginia, Divorce Records, 1918-2014
- Virginia Colonial Records, 1607-1853
Visit the Ancestry for Virginians site to begin your search
Access genealogical resources including:
- Freedman’s Bank Records
- PERiodical Source Index (PERSI)
- Revolutionary War Pension Records
- United States Census
- United States Congressional Serial Set
Visit the HeritageQuest Online.
Portsmouth Vital Records
Links to transcribed Portsmouth and Norfolk County Records from 1853 to 1939. The transcriptions come from records held with in the Esther Murdaugh Wilson Local History Room located in the Portsmouth Main Library. Click here to view the records.
- Births for Norfolk County and Portsmouth 1850 to 1896
- Deaths in Portsmouth and Elizabeth River Parish recorded in Norfolk County 1853-1860
- Cemeteries within the city limits not including some small family plots around the city
- Marriages of Norfolk County (early and 1850-1935) and Portsmouth (1858-1939)
The Portsmouth Public Library in partnership with the Library of Virginia and the Internet Archive is now providing access to scanned images of one hundred and fifty-seven entire Portsmouth School Yearbooks. The yearbooks include high school, Middle School, Local College and Nursing School Institutions, some of which no longer exist. The volumes date from 1923 to 1977. All of the The yearbooks in the collection have been donated to our Local History Room over many years. The collection does not include every year for every school. The library is always interested in adding missing years. if you are interested in donating yearbooks to the permanent local history collection, please call us at 393-8501, ext. 6521.